Tuesday, May 25, 2010

kids, yoga and light

Sadly, today was the final class of the season for those of us volunteering practicing yoga with autistic children. With all due respect to my colleagues and friends in the Buddhist sector, I have not seen a more genuine expression of pure love and compassion in action than in these classes. It was nothing short of amazing and inspiring to see the gentleness and enthusiasm the boys and girls brought to yoga!
At my first class I did not know what to expect. But I enjoy playing and being around children and how different could these kids be? What I found was there were varying ways in which some of the kids were able to communicate. It appeared as though it was painful for some to even look at the world and they preferred sitting quietly covering their faces. There were eruptions of joyful hand clapping or vocalizations--at least they appeared joyful. Some of the kids were quite willing to communicate and make jokes, others would repeat strings of phrases, one of my favorite kids would only make a variety of birdlike sounds--very accurate ones, actually.
It must be refreshing to be out of a classroom and in a room with smiling and encouraging ladies (and the occasional gentleman). All of us volunteers were eager to help and gently interact with the kids if they wanted help. I have to honestly say I felt love for each child, and judging by all the volunteers' faces, they loved them too! In the weeks that passed since my first day, the kids also progressed, all sat on mats and participated. Credit goes to Bridget, our teacher, and all the teachers and caretakers that created the space for the kids and volunteers to feel comfortable.
I peeked at one point when we had our eyes closed and saw blissful expressions all around. Since it was the last day, the kids brought Bridget cards they drew--such sweetness! At the beginning of class, we were asked to imagine ourselves filled with light, which was easy in the light which streamed in through the stained glass windows of the auditorium, some jewel-like colors reflected on our clothes, skin and hair and the polished wood floor. I think it was more than summery light that warmed the room, though, it was love.

No comments:

Post a Comment