Tuesday, June 15, 2010

lacking inherent existence

This is one of my favorite recent sightings along one of my favorite areas in Brooklyn, the Gowanus Canal. It's still affected by postindustrial blight, at least visually and olfactorily although signs of gentrification are rampantly present.
What is funny about this sign is that it's asking us to agree that the area immediately around it is no longer a basis upon which to impute "bus stop" because a bus will no longer be stopping here. I like it because it's a reminder that everything we encounter is an imputation of our mind upon the encountered stimuli--at least according to my understanding of Buddhism. This is great, good news. I try to imagine other things surrounding me are accompanied by similar signs: "Attention This is not a cat. You are imputing cat on these furry and annoying aggregates begging for food and stinking outside the box."
Ah, everything we encounter is colored by our mindset.

1 comment: